Ludacris, CeeLo Green, Cameo, Doug E. Fresh, Xscape, Bow Wow, Keke Wyatt, Arrested Development, Anthony Hamilton, V. Bozeman, Miche’le & Many More Take Part in 26th Annual Bounce Trumpet Awards in Atlanta
Larenz Tate (Power) and Erica Ash (Survivor’s Remorse) Hosted Star-Studded Event Set to World Premiere on Bounce Sun. Feb. 11 at 9:00 p.m. ET
Check out 26th Trumpet Awards Red Carpet video and photos below:
The 2018 Bounce Trumpet Awards were held on Saturday, January 20, 2018 at the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre in Atlanta. The prestigious annual event celebrating African-American achievements and contributions will air exclusively on Bounce on Sunday, February 11 at 9:00 p.m. ET.
The evening’s festivities were hosted by actors Larenz Tate and Erica Ash as celebrities, notable and esteemed guests from far and wide gathered to honor the outstanding accomplishments of African Americans and those who have succeeded against great odds and inspired success in others.
Memorable moments and highlights of the event included:
· A rousing musical tribute to So So Def Recordings Founder and honoree Jermaine Dupri which included performances by Anthony Hamilton, Bow Wow, Xscape and a surprise appearance by Ludacris that brought the house down. Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms joined for the presentation.
· A crowd-pleasing tribute to honoree group Cameo featuring Doug E. Fresh, Big Daddy Kane, Carl Thomas, Stokley Williams, Bilal and Mr. Talkboxx performing a medley of Cameo hits including “Single Life,” “Sparkle,” “She’s Strange,” “Rigor Mortis,” “Word Up!” and “Candy.” CeeLo Green presented the group their Lifetime Achievement Award and then joined in for the closing number.
· Thrilling performances by Arrested Development, Michel’le and Major.
· Estelle, V. Bozeman and We’ McDonald with a powerful rendition of “Conqueror” to open the show.
· Honoree Rhyon Brown lighting up the stage with an energetic performance of her hit single “After Party.”
· Angie Stone, Lamman Rucker, Omar Gooding and Angell Conwell appearing as presenters, and more.
The 2018 Honorees were: Jermaine Dupri, the GRAMMY® Award-winning record producer, songwriter, and hip-hop artist who received The Music Innovation Award; Founder of Sundial Brands and new owner of Essence Communications Richelieu Dennis recognized with The Entrepreneur Award; Activist and National Co-Chair of the Women’s March Tamika Mallory who received The Impact Award; 13-year old social activist and author behind the #1000BlackGirlBooks Marley Dias who was presented with The Trailblazer Award; Nuclear Engineer and Inventor Dr. Lonnie Johnson receiving The Innovator Award; Actress, singer and dancer Rhyon Brown who was given The Rising Star Award presented by McDonald’s and legendary American soul-influenced funk group Cameo being honored with The Lifetime Achievement Award.
Founded in 1992 by American Civil Rights leader Xernona Clayton, The Trumpet Awards were acquired by Bounce in 2016. The list of prestigious honorees over its 26-year history includes Muhammad Ali, Beyoncé, Jamie Foxx, Halle Berry, Stevie Wonder, The African-American Women of the United States Congress, Steve Harvey, Martin Luther King III, Janelle Monáe and Spike Lee. Visit www.trumpetawards.com for more information.
Bounce (@BounceTV) airs on the broadcast signals of local television stations and corresponding cable carriage, and features a programming mix of original and off-network series, theatrical motion pictures, specials, live sports, and more. Bounce has grown to be available in more than 99 million homes across the United States and 95% of all African-American (AA) television homes, including all the top AA television markets. Among the founders of Bounce are iconic American figures Ambassador Andrew Young and Martin Luther King III. Bounce is part of The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP).