Grammy and Tony Award-winning actress and singer Renée Elise Goldsberry will join the cast of Girls5eva, the upcoming Peacock comedy from Tina Fey, Robert Carlock and Meredith Scardino. Goldsberry will star alongside Grammy Award-winning recording artist, Emmy nominee and Broadway actress Sara Bareilles, who was previously announced.
· Goldsberry will star as Wickie, the glamorous, big-voiced, star of the group back in the day, Wickie’s solo career hit a ditch, but she’s determined to use this new opportunity to retake her rightful place as pop royalty.
· “This wickedly talented team is creating something brave and new,” said Goldsberry. “I’m grateful I get to be in the room with them. I honestly can’t think of a better way to transition out of this year and into the new one than laughing with strong and beautiful women.”
· When a one-hit-wonder girl group from the 90’s gets sampled by a young rapper, its members reunite to give their pop star dreams one more shot. They may be grown women balancing spouses, kids, jobs, debt, aging parents, and shoulder pain, but can‘t they also be Girls5eva?
· Goldsberry is best known for her role as Angelica Schuyler in the musical phenomenon “Hamilton.” Her performance earned her a Tony Award, Grammy Award, Drama Desk Award, and Lucille Lortel Award. Most recently, Renée starred in the critical darling, feature film “Waves,” opposite Sterling K. Brown, and in the hit series “Altered Carbon”. She could also be seen on NBC’s musical sensation, “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist.” Additionally she has lent her voice on animated series such as “Fast & Furious Spy Racers” and “Centaurworld.” Other highlights from her film and television career include her work on “One Life To Live,” for which she received two Daytime Emmy nominations and two NAACP Image Award nominations.Goldsberry’s appearances on stage include her Outer Critics Circle Award nominated performance opposite Frances McDormand in the play “Good People,” and the original Broadway version of “The Color Purple.” She made her Broadway debut as Nala in “The Lion King,” and her performance as Mimi in Broadway’s closing cast of “Rent” was immortalized in film. Goldsberry is repped by UTA, UNTITLED, and attorney Adam Cooper.
· Meredith Scardino serves as creator and executive producer for the series. Tina Fey (Little Stranger, Inc.), Robert Carlock (Bevel Gears), Jeff Richmond, David Miner (3 Arts Entertainment), Eric Gurian (Little Stanger) will also serve as executive producers. Girls5evais produced by Universal Television, a division of Universal Studio Group.